Iceland is a small island packed with jaw dropping scenery, contrasting landscapes and exquisite wild life. It is no wonder it has become one of the most sought after travel destinations in recent years. Here are 10 surpring finds in Iceland that won our hearts and should inspire any traveler to visit one day.
1) Reykjavik – With its fun atmosphere, corky touches, colorful homes and terrific architecture; the capital city of Iceland is a great place to begin exploring the country.
2) Lupine Flowers – While making your way through the island, it’s easy to spot whimsical fields covered in purple. These flower offer a beautiful and vibrant scene to an already magnificent landscape.
3) Reynisfjara Beach – There are black sand beaches and then there is this beach! This is definitely one of the most breathtaking, remarkable and unique coastal landscapes we have ever encountered. Taking a stroll through this landmark will make you feel like you stepped into another world.
4) Thermal Waters – Iceland offers plenty of opportunities to relax in natural waters heated by geysers. Soaking in warm baths surrounded by exquisite landscapes, truly an unforgettable experience!
5) Outdoor Museums – There is a great opportunity to learn about the rich history by exploring charming outdoor village museums such as the Capital Open Air and Skogar Museums.
6) Thingvellir National Park – The National Park contains fantastic views, well paved scenic trails, lovely waterfalls and even the opportunity to scuba dive between two continental plates!
7) Glaciers – This is the where the island gets its name from. Truly fascinating to hike in close proximity to Svinafellsjokull Glacier and so exciting to ride amongst giant chunks of ice in Jokulsarlon Glacier Lake.
8) Waterfalls – If there is something that Iceland has an abundance of it would be waterfalls! Just driving on mains roads provides you magnificent opportunities to spot them. If you are a waterfall lover – this is the place for you.
9) Geysers – Another common sight in Iceland are steaming geysers. The volcanic activity, which is characteristic to the island, helps create an amazing steam filled scenery all around.
10) Unusual Finds – From Icelandic horses, inactive volcano crater, homes carved out of rocks and even a plane wreckage; there are many unique treasures one can find while exploring this amazing island.
SAVE ON PINTEREST: